Busy Days

February 21st, 2009

These days are amongst the busiest of my life. I am applying for many positions, I have a lot of work to do for my classes, and I am trying to enjoy college life as well. It feels like I am managing well combining both fun and duty. There is only one thing that seems to be left out in the package: sleep. Some people might argue that sleeping is a waste of living time anyways, but I tend to disagree. The quality of my days improves to such a degree after sleeping well, that I deem it worth it to give up some living time to get a few hours of good sleep.

Anyway, let me tell you what I have been up to the past week.

The past week began with a Logic and Philosophy exam on Monday. I felt really well prepared and the exam went well. After my exam, I had to work in the library. I am still learning about being a reference assistant, because I only started working three weeks ago. Me being new resulted in an euphoric feeling after I had answered my first reference questions successfully.
After my last class of the day, I decided to fill out an application for the position of Director of Travel and Recreation  for the Wooster Activities Crew (WAC).
After I filled out my application, I went to the African dinner that was organized by Ujamma, the African Student organization on campus. It was Africa Week on campus this last week, so there was a week long program of Africa related events. Last Saturday I had already watched a performance by the South African dance troop Juxta Power, which was very spectacular. And on Sunday there was a showing of the movie Bowling for Zimbabwe which stars Itai, a Wooster student from Zimbabwe.

Tuesday, I had a day of doing labs. I had a lab for my math class and a lab for my computer science class. It meant that I spent five hours in front of a computer screen. It made me a little dizzy, but after a good weight lifting session in the gym I felt a lot better.
I also had a Model United Nations meeting on Tuesday. After the two try-outs, I had only made it to number eight on the alternates list. I was not very happy with that, but Tuesday I was lucky. Only one other person from the alternates list showed up to the meeting, so that means that now I am the number two on the alternates list. If two people decide to drop out of the team, I will be traveling to New York in April with the model UN team. I believe that would be an amazing experience. Besides, the college pays for the bus and the hotel.

Wednesday, I had an interview for the WAC director position. It went really well.  I also  played Ultimate Frisbee with the college’s team  for the first time of my life. It was a muddy experience, but a lot of fun. In the evening, I had a rehearsal for the theater production of this semester. I play Steven, a waiter who thinks he is a ladies man.

Thursday, I got the green light to start blogging for the college.  I also talked to Dr. Ramsay, the chair of the math & computer science department. I got his signature for declaring my major.  In the evening, I had a group interview for Orientation Committee. We had to do fun activities while we were being observed. We had to build a structure out of newspapers and tape and transport marbles from one side of the room to the other by using plastic tubes.

Friday, I heard that they picked me to be the Director of Travel and Recreation for WAC. That means that I will be responsible for planning great trips for the student body. For example, the yearly trip to Cedar Point. After this good news, I got to talk to my parents over Skype. In the evening, I went to the closing event of Africa week: the Aya-Masaai Dance Party. There was African music and food and a lot of dancing. After this party, I also went to the Rave against the Machine party for a while. After that, it was time for some good sleep.

One Response to “Busy Days”

1. Sandoron 25 Feb 2009 at 2:41 pm

Nice hearing from you and reading your blog Bas! I thought I had a busy life these days, but you seem to outnumber me with your activities! So nice though that you’re involved in so many different committees and organizations within the campus/uni. Sounds that you’ve got a lot to do/learn off campus as well.

Keep up the good effort, I’ll check your blog on a regular basis, eager to know what you’ve been up to!