Calmer Waters (and Pacific waters ahead)

February 28th, 2009

The busiest days have come to an end for now. I have some more time to relax. I just have to wait now until I hear if I am selected for the different positions that I applied for.

I had an interview for the Ambassadors Program on Tuesday. If I get selected to be an ambassador for next year, I will have the honor of representing the Netherlands in the Wooster community for two semesters. I really hope I will get it, but I know I am facing some tough competition from aspiring ambassadors from other countries. Each year, five students get selected to represent their countries. This year, we have ambassadors from Egypt, China, India, Ghana, and Zimbabwe. Next year’s list will hopefully include the Netherlands!

I am also awaiting the outcome of the interviews I did for the Resident Assistant position. A Resident Assistant (RA) has to make sure students are happy living in their room and that they get the right help if they are having problems. I like to see the RA as the host of the floor. He or she has to make sure all guests are content (preferably more than just content). In order to apply for this position, I had to go through two rounds of interviews. The first round was a group interview. In this round, all the applicants worked together in three different (fun) activities while¬† we were being observed by current RAs and staff members. In most cases (as long as you don’t hurt anyone during the group interview), you get invited for an individual interview. During this interview, the current staff gets to know you on a more personal basis and can decide if they think you are ready for the job. I think being a RA would be a great learning experience and a lot of fun to do. An extra advantage of being a RA is that you get a discount on your room and board, but if that is the only reason you want to do it, you’d better refrain from applying.

A third position that I am applying for, is that of Orientation Committee member. In my last post, I told you about the group interview for this position. Next week, I will have my individual interview. If I get selected to be a RA, I will not be able to do Orientation Committee because the training and duties for the different positions overlap. Still, I would be very excited to be an Orientation Committee member if I don’t get selected to be a RA. I remember my first days at the College of Wooster. It was great to meet so many people from different places around the world in such a short period of time. Orientation really helps you with starting your bond with the college. You will know your way around campus and have your first new college friends. After my orientation, I felt very at home at the college already. It was a weird feeling that after one week, I felt like I had been at the college for at least a month, but I also felt like I had just arrived.

I will be awaiting the outcome of all my applications this coming week.

Tonight is the winter Gala and being a new member of WAC (Wooster Activites Crew), I will be helping setting things up. After this week, it will be Spring break already. The first half of the semester has gone by so incredibly fast. For me Spring break means two weeks of divine beaches on Hawaii! I will keep you guys updated.

One Response to “Calmer Waters (and Pacific waters ahead)”

1. Charlotteon 02 Mar 2009 at 8:20 am

Dear Bastiaan, I love to read your stories on your weblog. Your writing is very good and it keeps us al updated to your life in the US! Keep up the good work!
    Sis