Ambassador

March 2nd, 2009

Even though I have a math exam tomorrow, I wanted to take a quick break from studying to tell you some exciting news: I got selected to be one of the five ambassadors next year! I don’t know yet what the other countries will be, but I know that the Netherlands will be represented. I got notified by a letter that I took out of my mailbox at 2:47 p.m. this afternoon. Since that moment, this cold day has been a bright one for me (even though my hair froze when I walked from my dorm to the library after taking a shower).

While I am writing anyways, I can tell you that there was a celebration of International Women’s Day on campus this past Sunday. It was very interesting to hear perspectives on gender roles from around the globe. One of the remarks that struck me most, was made by one of my Pakistani friends Amun. She pointed out that women wearing a burka, are not necessarily oppressed but can do this out of choice. That means that a woman wearing a burka might just as well be liberated as  a woman wearing a  skirt.

That’s all for now. I am working on uploading some nice pictures to this blog, but so far all my attempts led to a giant picture destroying the whole layout.

5 Responses to “Ambassador”

1. Morganon 03 Mar 2009 at 9:10 am

congrats!!

2. ajue10on 03 Mar 2009 at 5:56 pm

likewise!

3. Gijsberton 04 Mar 2009 at 12:57 am

Great 4u AND great for the Ambassador program!
    Interesting what you wrote about burkas and skirts.
    Last week I read a column in a newspaper. The man said that it had struck him that so many girls at the pay-desks in his supermarket (this is in Amsterdam, the Netherlands) nowadays wear kerchiefs, while some years ago these same young women showed their hair. He asked them why this was so, and their answer was, that they have to do so, or else in their community they will be scolded at as ‘bad muslims’. How can we define what freedom is? I surely do not see freedom in all these youngsters wearing Bjorn Borg boxer shorts and having their pants hanging under their butts either!

4. Sandoron 07 Mar 2009 at 9:15 pm

Congratulations Bas! Nice to hear you representing Holland next year! Hopefully the EUcup can make us proud aswell 😉
    Very interesting also what you wrote (and what your dad replied!). I think it was two weeks ago that we had a discussion with our fraternity about manners taken over from old traditions without people actually understanding anymore why their doing exactly that. I can imagine that people wearing a scarf do so in order to ‘fit in’ or be ‘a good muslim’ (like the reporter said) but not actually understanding the meaning of it.
    Now lets see what you can bring from our Dutch culture back to the US..!

5. Charlotteon 18 Mar 2009 at 6:34 am

Yeaaahh Bastiaaaan!!