Results

April 9th, 2009

Let’s start with the results of the game that I organized for my readers: Guess the Right Ambassador. From all one contestants I got zero right responses (sorry dad). The correct answer was, from left to right: Prachi from Pakistan, Nita from Ecuador, Bastiaan from the Netherlands, Morag from Botswana, and Amun from India. No winners this time.

I promised to write a little about Relay for Life so I will. Relay for Life is the American Cancer Society’s “signature event” and gives everyone a chance to participate in the fight against cancer. At The College of Wooster that means that students form teams to raise money for the fight against cancer in creative ways. One team had created two calendars of Wooster hotties, a male version (with at least one really hot model) and a female version , another team gave students the opportunity to create a tye-dye shirt, others let people magically levitate for a small donation, and many groups had some sort of game or food that students could enjoy in exchange for a small contribution. Another major Relay event is walking around the track to raise money. Teams set out a certain time that they will walk and get sponsors to support them. The whole event is decorated in purple and accompanied by music performed by college groups and bands. Unfortunately, the weather this year forced the organization to move the event indoors, but most years it is held outdoors around the track.

Something else I want to continue to share about is why The College of Wooster is unique ( I really do believe it is). For this post I decided to ask our Senior Associate Dean of Students, Carolyn Buxton, about five things which she thinks make The College of Wooster unique. Here it comes:

1. Wooster is like your favorite stew that your mom makes. You put in the same ingredients every time, but the ratios will be different so the taste is distinct and unique every time.

2. Wooster students are very intelligent

3. Wooster students are hard working

4.Wooster students embrace their college. They fight over being involved in student organizations even though there is no financial incentive.

5. Wooster might not have the reputation or prestige of Yale and Harvard, but the students are truly dedicated and passionate about their school.

Next time, I will write some more about why I think Wooster is unique and why the alumni that I emailed before come here though Wooster was such a great place. My grandfather was happy that I had used some of his feedback, but he was not satisfied yet and he requested more specifics (I am starting to think that he is thinking about applying). I know it is a challenge to satisfy my grandfather, but it is a challenge that I am happy to take on.

One Response to “Results”

1. gijsberton 10 Apr 2009 at 7:00 am

I have another challenge for you: writing a blog about Wooster life which is both faithful and critical. What really doesn’t work over there? What is a nuisance, a boredom?
    Otherwise you’ll risk starting to look like an old fashioned USSR-‘journalist’ who is just glorifying his country because otherwise he’ll get fired (or jailed)!
    Have fun and keep being happy, son!