First Week

August 28th, 2009

It is weekend after the first week of classes. I have fully acclimatized already, but it is clear that my schedule is really as busy as it looks.

Today, it is Scot Spirit day. All 120+ groups on campus try to show their best side in order to attract new members. I will be drifting between two tables: the Wooster Activities Crew table and the International Student Association table. The sky looks a little gray, but I hope it will stay dry.

My classes this semester are: linear algebra, transitions to advanced math, principles of rhetoric, and TA-ing for public speaking. Yesterday, I did three hours of homework for linear algebra. I signed up for it so I can’t really complain.

I just got back from a talk by the widow of Norman Morrison. She told a very impressive story and the whole audience was very moved. People were crying in the room. Norman Morrison set himself on fire in front of the Pentagon to protest the Vietnam war. His widow told us about the impact it had on her, the people in Vietnam, and her family.

After this warm up week I will be ready for the semester. Everything I do is planned on a Google calendar. If you follow the link, you can see my busy and my open hours. I still have some free time and during 12 of my busy hours I can multi-task. If there is no one asking me a question during the seven hours that I work in the library, I can do my homework. If none of my residents stop by during the five weekly open door hours that I have, I can do my homework.

I believe that I will manage. Wooster tends to bring the best out in me.

3 Responses to “First Week”

1. charlotteon 29 Aug 2009 at 9:32 am

lieve Bastiaan! It’s great you are keeping us updated again but it might be an idea to sent an e-mail to all your friends and family again that you’re still doing this because i had no idea! But it’s great to read so keep us updated, i know you will! Love you!!!!!

2. Gijsberton 29 Aug 2009 at 11:33 am

Your Google calendar is impressive. Interesting times we are living in, where people publish their schedules in their blogs! Is ‘busy’ (when I click, it reads ‘bezet’, by the way) for you enough to remember what to do in all those busy-hours? Or is this a public, neutralized version of your schedule?
    Well, anyway, I am on your side in believing that you will manage. You looked very happy and spirited on Skype!

3. opa reyeron 29 Aug 2009 at 2:25 pm

Met heel veel plezier gelezen dast je weer helemaal gesettled bent. Ik ben heel benieuwd naar het resultaat van de Scot Spirit Day. Veel nieuwelingen geworven?
    Je Google kalender ziet er prachtig uit. Ik wens je van harte toe dat de planning en de uitvoering elkaar dekken: dan loop je minder achter jezelf aan te rennen dan vorige jaar soms het geval was. Veel succes dus met het strikte regime waaraan je jezelf onderwerpt!
    opa Reyer