Family

October 24th, 2009

This weekend is family weekend. There are parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, and uncles all over the place. However, my family is on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. Fortunately, one of my sisters is here in Wooster. She is a one-year exchange student at the college, so I am not completely without family.

Quick note: The Fall is still beautiful here. I cannot believe how bright yellow and bright red the leaves can get. It looks unreal every time I go outside.

Now, I would like to update you on the Wooster life I am living. In my last post, I wrote how full my week was. Now, the week has come to an end. I did one thing at a time, and suddenly, the week was over. I think I can wrap up this week by declaring it a success.

My principles of rhetoric exam went well. My wrist hurt after writing a four and a half page essay on the exam, but I felt satisfied. All the effort had not been fruitless. However, for the result I still have to wait. You never know how the professor is going to grade an exam. I find that interesting. After a math exam, I always know what I did right and what I did not get. After a communciation exam, I always hope the professors interprets my writing the way I intended it.
My ambassadors presentations this week went well too. Especially the one I did yesterday. Together with Amun and Nita, the ambassadors from Pakistan and Ecuador respectively, I gave a presentation at a nursing conference in Wooster. The nurses were very engaged and they kept asking great questions. It was a very satisfying experience. After the presentation, some of the nurses came up to us to give us hugs and express their gratefulness.

Tomorrow, I am taking a (hopefully full) bus of students to Jungle Jim’s. Jungle Jim’s is one of the most extraordinary stores on the planet. It is a giant grocery store, but a theme park at the same time. The store has over 500 types of produce, 700 types of cheese, 12,000 types of wine, 1,200 types of beer, etc. Its inventory is unbelievable. I know I will be buying some good Dutch cheese and probably some good Dutch beer as well. A good illustration of how the store is set up is the hot sauces. The shelves that hold just the hot sauces are the size of a fire truck. To proves this, there is an actual fire truck on top of the shelves. The prices of these bottles of hot sauce go up to a thousand dollars.

Hopefully, next week won’t be as busy as the past week. I am reading a book called How to Become a Straight A student. The book tells me how I can get better results within less time. I am trying to apply those principles so that I can bring my stress down and my enjoyment up. I will keep you updated on how and if the book is helping me.

4 Responses to “Family”

1. charlotteon 25 Oct 2009 at 8:07 am

Where did you get that book? I want to become a strait A student as well 🙂 Because i could use some tips to help me study! I would love to go on that bus with you and see the store, i think i would love it! Talk to you soon!! Xxx

2. charlotteon 25 Oct 2009 at 8:09 am

oops.. straight A I mean 🙂 I need to write more in English because i am losing it and you and Suzanna are getting better and better!

3. Gijsberton 27 Oct 2009 at 5:45 am

Do the $1000 sauces have a sell-by-date indication. What is the turnover rate of all these thousands of brands?
    And we miss you on our family weekends over here… Could you keep free December 19 for a postponed St. Nicholas in Castricum?

4. moduffy12on 27 Oct 2009 at 10:04 am

I’m reading that book too. It’s good.