The Flavours of the World Reception

November 19th, 2009

Yesterday, we had the annual ambassadors dinner. This dinner is titled the same as this post. For this dinner, the local restaurant the Wooster Inn prepares quality food from all the countries that are represented by an ambassador. Loyal readers of this blog and most students on campus know that these countries are: The Netherlands, Botswana, Ecuador, India, and Pakistan.

The dinner went really well. People loved the food and also enjoyed the short presentations that the ambassadors gave about food in their respective countries. Unfortunately, there was some miscommunication between the ambassadors and the chefs. Not all the food turned out as traditional and authentic as it was supposed to be. For example, my traditional Dutch main course called Stamppot was vegetarian.  I had never eaten a vegetarian version of this meal before, but it was still not bad at all.

Today, there was an international bazaar in our main student center. My sister decorated a table full of stuff from the Netherlands. For me, it was almost overkill. I represented my country yesterday during the ambassadors dinner.  It was a little too much to do it again the next day. Fortunately, my sister did most of the representing and I only had to be there for 45 minutes. However, this week is international education week on campus, so I can’t really complain. After all, I am an ambassador and the vice-president of the International Student Association this year.

Saturday at 6:00 am, I will be departing to Chicago for the American Model United Nations Conference. We have twenty delegates from the college of Wooster and hopefully we will be able to perform well. After this conference, it will be Thanksgiving break. That means I won’t have classes for a full week. There is still a lot of work to do this semester and at this point I have no clue how I will get everything done. However, I know that by the end of the semester, it will be done.

2 Responses to “The Flavours of the World Reception”

1. Gijsberton 20 Nov 2009 at 5:05 am

Would it be possible to post some pictures of the dinner and the bazaar? I’d love to see some snapshots of Asians enjoying ‘hutspot’ and ‘snert’, you standing up to promote the exquisite Dutch kitchen, and your sister representing the Netherlands. How did the Dutch display she made look like? Good luck in Chicago, enjoy revisiting NYC, and just relax about the last efforts for this semester, be they enormous!

2. charlotteon 21 Nov 2009 at 11:07 am

Again a great post! Suus told me she had hutspot without meat but that is was still pretty good! Enjoy everything you do because as you write about your busy life it al seems so overwhelming! Take care and see you verrrrrry soon!