Atlantic Crossings

January 13th, 2010

I am back and unjet-lagged.  During my winter break I crossed the Atlantic Ocean four times. After all RA business was taken care of, I flew to Amsterdam. I spent a week at home, living during the nights. I wanted to stay in Ohio biorhythm because I knew I would be back soon. It was amazing to catch up with my friends . Although it is very uncommon were I am from, everything was covered in lots of snow. After this week of snow fun at home, I departed to Costa Rica. My three siblings, my parents, and I flew to Houston and then to San Jose. Costa Rica was beautiful. We did some great hiking through the rain forest, some extreme mountain biking on very steep dirt roads, and some white water rafting on one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever seen. During our trips we saw some exotic animals and insects and I got bitten by hundreds of mosquitoes. The trip  was a great success. After two weeks of Costa Rica, I flew home again. I had two nights and a day at home and then it was time to go back to the airport again. The trip back did not go too smoothly. I spent a night in Memphis which I had certainly not planned to do.

No I am sitting behind my desk in the library again. But I am happy to be back. It is a beautiful day today. Wooster, OH is covered in snow and the sun is shining. This semester will be very different for me. My girlfriend is studying abroad in Japan, so I am all alone. Fortunately, not all alone. I am trying to be as social as possible because otherwise I will be missing her too much. Over break, I read a book titled How to Win Friends and Influence People. Hopefully, that will help me make some friends. The book sounds like it is some evil book that teaches you how to deceive people, but it really just tells you how people like to be treated. Also, I have some friends already. Even if the book doesn’t work at all, I will be probably not be a social outlaw.

This semester I am taking Real Analysis, Math Modeling, Junior Independent Study, and Quantitative Methods for Communication. I think it will be challenging, but as the loyal readers of this blog know, last semester I read a book with the title How to Become a Straight-A student. I will try to implement some of the strategies from the book in order to really become a Straight-A student.

Maybe it seems like I am trying to live my live through the advise of books, but I just like reading other people’s perspectives on how to do things well.

Two more things before I go:

1. Saturday the selection of the new RAs begins. I will be one of the people conducting the group interviews.
  2. Next week, I have an interview for the position of tour guide at the college. I really hope I will get it.

4 Responses to “Atlantic Crossings”

1. kerion 13 Jan 2010 at 4:32 pm

Social outcast, not social outlaw. Funny boy.
    I hope you get the tour guide job! I know you’d be GREAT!

2. Gijsberton 16 Jan 2010 at 6:30 am

What does a tour guide at the college do?

I can’t imagine you worrying about your sociability, but one interesting thing about being a father is that you have to start getting to know your children everytime anew.
    Good luck in this new semester, I am very curious what it is going to bring to you and what you are going to get out of it.

3. charlotteon 17 Jan 2010 at 8:07 am

Bastiaan! I posted a comment on this blog but I guess it dissapeared because the internet broke down 🙂 But I hope you’ll get the job for tour guide as well and I will keep commenting on your posts because I enjoy reading them a lot! Take care and good luck with your incredible busy life at Wooster! You are truly sharing the wooster experience!

4. Sandoron 24 Jan 2010 at 6:59 am

Don’t worry too much about making friends, I guess others read books entitled: “how to be friends with B. van de Lagemaat” so they’ll come to you 😉
    Good to hear you enjoyed Costa Rica, unfortunate to hear the moment has arrived where you’ll have to miss Keri for a whole semester.. Hope you can manage through skype/phone/e-mail contact over this period, you’ll be extra happy to see each other when you’ll be done!
    All the best this semester again, keep on going and enjoy life :)!

Cheers, Sandor