Count down

April 14th, 2010

DISCLAIMER: Do not get scared of The College of Wooster by reading this post. If you plan your time well and you do not leave for a week at the busiest point in your college career, you will never find yourself in a situation like mine.

There are officially two and a half weeks of classes left. The weather is really nice and many students are enjoying the beauty of the campus at this time of the year. It smells like flowers everywhere and students do work while getting a tan or play some Frisbee. It seems like no one has a care in the world.

That is not what my inside world feels like. My junior Independent Study, my project for quantitative methods, and my final project for math modeling make the Mission Impossible theme come up in my head. Unfortunately, I am not Tom Cruise and this is not Hollywood. I am an average student and this is real life in Wooster Ohio. I think I would be able to finish all these projects if those were the only things I had to worry about right now. However, they are not.

Let me tell you the situation. This weekend, I will be at the Ethnic Fair all day on Saturday. It is a great event were many people represent their culture with games, food, and artifacts. About 3,000 people are expected to come. Again, a great event, but very time consuming. On Sunday, I will be in a meeting with all resident assistants from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. Then, at 6:00 p.m., the ISA dinner starts, which will last until 8:00 p.m. That means that my entire weekend is taken up by extracurricular activities!

My junior IS is moving, but it remains a very challenging process. Right now, I am recruiting people to participate in my experiment. I have a list of 61 people that have told me there is a chance they will show up. However, I want to expand this list to at least 80 people, because I know student lives are versatile. At least 20 of them will probably not show up. The experiment takes place tomorrow night at 8:30 p.m.. Hopefully, everything will go well with that. Then, before this weekend is over, I have to finish my literature review. For the communication junior IS, there is a 16 page minimum. I have about 12 pages right now, but they are far from how I want them to be organized. When I am done with this literature review, I will have to start processing the information from my experiment. That means that I will have to put the information from 60 students who each fill out 60 items into a SPPS file (SPPS is statistical analysis software). To do the math for you: 3600 items. Once I am done processing this information, I will have to analyze it and present it neatly in Chapter IV of my junior IS. The next step is chapter V; the discussion section. Finally, I will have to write a chapter VI with the major conclusions from my study. Yes, only 2.5 weeks left.

My quantitative project is just as fun, but not as intense. I have processed 40 items times 32 people = 1280 items already. Now I will have to analyze the data, report the results, put it in context of the literature, and write up some conclusions.

My final project for math modeling involves writing a model and presenting it. My group has decided to work on a model on how airlines book flights.

Then, there is the weekly homework that just keeps coming and there is the occasional presentation.

Right now, I don’t see how I will manage to do all these things, but I know one thing for sure: in 3.5 weeks (including finals) it will all be over.

5 Responses to “Count down”

1. Gijsberton 15 Apr 2010 at 4:06 am

Bastiaan, your description is literature, if not poetry. What you describe sounds interesting, challenging and: manageable, certainly not impossible.
    Your biggest enemy is in your head. When you are working on one thing, while worrying about alle the other things you do not work on at that moment, chances are that you get mad. So: make a reasonable schedule (I suppose you have one already) and do one thing at a time. Do not confront yourself continuously with all the tasks and activities as a big sea of troubles, a road tot Never-Never Land. Stop thinking you had better not gone to NYC. You were there, it was a great experience, and bygones are bygones. Itai was right, but the rational thing is not always the sensible thing!
    Besides, it is important to no forget about sleep and sports, because there lies another risk of getting mad: doing nothing but work all the time. So take your time to enjoy the sun, play frisbee with your friends, etcetera. Take care to feel happy and rich, that will help to get the work done.
    And think of organizing help. That also is a nice challenge: skip or delegate things you do not absolutely have to do yourself. And maybe you can hire some assistents (your sister, friends who have a somewhat lazier schedule) for putting the data into SPSS?
    In short: be confident, relax, and don’t stay alone with it.
    And apart from all this: we are also counting down!
    Have fun, your dad.

2. charlotteon 15 Apr 2010 at 4:18 am

Well no advices left for me 🙂 I just wanted to day I think it’s incredible you’re still updating this post even though it seems like you really don’t have time for it! ‘Het komt goed’ like Ferdinand always says to me at moments I really don’t feel like that! But it is the truth! Enjoy your last weeks of Wooster! Can’t wait to see you!

3. charlotteon 15 Apr 2010 at 4:19 am

I wanted to say not day! But I guess you got that! 😀

4. kerion 15 Apr 2010 at 8:01 am

Your dad has said everything that needs to be said!
    I know you will get everything done and do an amazing job of it.
    がんばって!

5. opa reyeron 15 Apr 2010 at 9:49 am

Letterlijk een adembenemende aflevering, Bastiaan! Hulde dat je ons toch zo uitvoerig informeert! Ik denk dat ik gezegd zou hebben: Nu maar even niet´. Maar jij werkt je hele programma keurig af. Indrukwekkend. Heel veel sterkte gewenst in deze slopende weken. opa Reyer