Shaving Equipment on its Way

September 23rd, 2010

I have been preparing for this a long time, but finally I have taken the step to order my shaving equipment. College students are generally very busy. Wooster students are generally extremely busy. Most of them don’t just go to class, but are involved in half a dozen activities as well. I am one of those students, but I have found a way to find a moment of ZEN in my day. I have decided to take on straight razor shaving.

Straight razor shaving was a dying art, but it is becoming more and more popular these days. One of the reasons for this that I can think of is that razor cassettes for products from Gillette and Wilkinson are getting more and more expensive. If you have an average beard like mine, they shave comfortably for a maximum of four shaves. They cost approximately 4 dollars a piece. That means that you got to spend 4 dollars a week on shaving if you want to shave comfortably and that is over 200 dollars a year. I just made a little investment which was close to that, but it will give me an amazing shave for the rest of my life. I bought a beautiful straight razor and a strop to keep it sharp. I know it will take me a while until I will be able to shave without hurting myself and without taking an hour, but once I get it down I will have made shaving into a wonderful experience. The problem with straight razor shaving is that it is a little addicting. Once you have one razor, you want another one. And then you start wanting a great shaving brush, shaving soap, after shave, a block of alum. It can get out of hand. Especially considering that shaving brushes alone can go for as much as 600 dollars. However, I am just starting and I want to learn how to shave like the men back in the days did it. Then, I want to preach to others that they need to learn the real shaving.

Well, maybe this post does not relate to college life as much as my others. However, it does illustrate how college is the time when you change the way you do things in life. Just because my dad requested it, I will add a video of my Astronomy professor juggling five balls:

6 Responses to “Shaving Equipment on its Way”

1. charlotteon 24 Sep 2010 at 2:07 am

It must of been hard for you to take this big step and buying something expensive like that 🙂 Congratiulations!!

2. charlotteon 24 Sep 2010 at 2:08 am

p.s. what a great astronomy teacher you have!

3. Sandor Oryon 24 Sep 2010 at 2:43 am

Great to hear that Bas, you’ve finally taken the step! I can remember our visit to Antwerp with our friends and us walking into this shop full of shaving materials and us having this conversation on the pleasures of old fashioned luxury, like shaving with a straight razor! After that we continued about ‘erfstukken’ (heritable goods), now nice to read you’ve got it to pass on to your first son!

Good luck experinenting it, I hope Keri knows how to treat cut wounds 😉

Sandor

4. Pepson 24 Sep 2010 at 4:32 am

Boy, I can’t even count the balls. It looks like the solar system, when he is juggling, your astronomy professor. And he looks so detached, like he is considering whether to drink milk or water with his meal. Wow, is this how concentration looks like? Thank you for this video and thank professor Lindner for his willingness to perform for the camera.
    Nice story about your shaving equipment. Please take care that Keri will make a video of your first use of these gorgeous tools, so that you can post them. Good luck with your absolutely variegated campus life!

5. Pepson 24 Sep 2010 at 4:43 am

PS
    Now I see that the juggling video is already on John Lindner’s personal website. You have two things in common with this remarkable professor: juggling and having climbed Mount Kilimanjaro!

6. Hannekeon 26 Sep 2010 at 11:30 am

dear Bastiaan
    I had a great time, reading your story!! Thanks! I ‘d like very much to see a picture of you, shaving, so I will be able to show you- shaving- to Bart and Daan; they are both shaving in a different way, so they can use some of your preaching!