Cars cost money

October 6th, 2010

This year is the first year of my college career that I own a car. It is great to have a car. You can go on a romantic getaway (see previous post) or you can go shopping. You can pick people up from the airport or you can go out for dinner. However, having a car also brings responsibilities. Car ownership is one of those outside of the classroom learning experiences.

A couple weeks ago I checked the pressure of my tires for the first time. I did not know how exactly I could get my tires up to the right pressure, but I asked a very nice gentleman who helped me out after he laughed at me for a while.

This week, as you may have already heard, I learned that you need to register your car every year before your birthday. Failure to do so can lead to a 45 dollar fine plus a 20 dollar late fee. Talking about great birthday presents.

My next step is that I am going to check the oil of my car. I have never done that before and I have heard it is important.

Also, my windscreen wipers are not working as well as I want them to. I will check on those too.

Hopefully, I won’t get a flat tire, because I don’t know how to change a tire for the spare one.

Lastly, I am learning that even here in the US gas uses a lot of money (at home people always say that it is so cheap here)

Something else I wanted to share that is not car related: I had an astronomy exam on Monday. I did not study as much as I should have, but the exam questions asked exactly what I had studied. It is always the other way around: you study everything and it seems like the exam knows what you skipped over and asks exactly that. Not this time. It felt great and I am hoping to get a 100 percent, but I know I probably missed something.

Well, while I am sharing, one more thing. The weather today was crazy. It started out gray, then it turned nice, then it was very gray again, and now it is beautiful. The weather websites are spreading rumors that it will be sunny and in the mid 70s for the coming four days. That includes our homecoming weekend, so that is very good news. I love beautiful fall days.

Please, can I share one more thing? I got really nice birthday presents from my girlfriend. She gave me a very good shaving brush made out of boar bristle. She also gave me some amazing smelling shaving cream. I can’t wait for tonight when I am going to use these gifts together with my straight razor!

4 Responses to “Cars cost money”

1. Pepson 07 Oct 2010 at 12:27 am

Wow, a nice and happy College of Wooster student fairy tale! You could have repeated the title of your previous post: life is just very good – even with car responsibilities.
    PS Please have yourself explained how to change a tire – hopefully not necessary, but just in case… I’m sorry I am not there to show you how to do it. Another missing father-son experience, after our never having gone fishing…

2. charlotteon 07 Oct 2010 at 5:18 am

Brother! I haven’t really been posting anything and I feel bad! My life had been really busy and it will stay that way I am afraid. I enjoy to read your posts so don’t worrry, I still read them! Can’t wait until you come pick me up from the airport in May and have fun shaving!

3. opa reyeron 07 Oct 2010 at 9:24 am

Je andere opa weet vast wel enkele toepasselijke bijbelteksten te noemen die aangeven hoe vaak rijkdom en bezit (b.v. een auto!) smart – dat is het bijbelse woord – veroorzaken. Het lijkt me in jouw geval nog wel mee te vallen. Houd moed! opa Reyer

4. Sloanon 22 Oct 2010 at 11:20 am

Bastiaan, great to hear thigns are goign well for you! Just so you know you are a step ahead of my co-woker who has owned a car since he was 16 (he is now 36) and still doesn’t know hoe to check his oil or change a tire!