Cedar Point and Crossing Guard Dreams

October 25th, 2010

Let’ start with some hard facts:

3 x Millennium Force
2 x Top Thrill Dragster
1 x Maverick
2 x Haunted House
1 x Magnum XL 200
1 x Shooting Rapids
1 x Steel Dragon
1 x Panda Express Food

All people that have spent a day at an amusement park know that this is not a bad score for less than 8 hours at the Cedar Point. It was a beautiful 75-degree sunny day. The nice weather was only interrupted by a one hour thunderstorm that closed down all the rides that involve going up. I was very lucky a couple of times, especially one time when I went in line for the Top Thrill Dragster right after it had been closed down. Only one couple was in front of me in the line. I have written about 400+ feet drops and 120 mph speeds before on this blog, so I won’t go into detail. Still, I want to mention again that the feelings the drugs in your brain generate on these rides are amazing.

Being a crossing guard may be my dream job. I was on duty for half an hour today and I loved it. The main street that runs through The College of Wooster is called Beall Avenue. The street has been completely renovated over the past two years, but in the process they removed the traffic light at the main pedestrian crosswalk. This has led to huge lines of very upset drivers in both directions. Campus Council has taken the initiative to address this problem. Part of the solution that the Beall Avenue Committee came up with were a funny educational video to be displayed in the main student lounge, an article in the local newspaper, and crossing guards during rush hours. I was on duty from 11:30 until 12:00. I had a real whistle accompanied by an orange reflecting vest. The results of crossing guarding where miraculous. There was never a line of more than three cars in either direction and students only had to wait ten to twenty seconds before crossing. I had a great time addressing the crowds. I was asking them if they knew how to cross, I was complimenting skilled crossers, and I was encouraging everyone to watch the educational video. At one point, I was even talking to the press who was present to document the event. I felt so happy after my half hour of duty that I consider becoming a professional crossing guard.

PS you should find time to watch an amazing 1.5 hour documentary called “home.” Here is the trailer, but the whole documentary is legally available on YouTube on HD quality for free.

4 Responses to “Cedar Point and Crossing Guard Dreams”

1. opa reyeron 26 Oct 2010 at 1:31 pm

Wat een score op Cedar Point! Daar had ik nog wel wat meer van willen horen.- En kennelijk ben je ook al in de wieg gelegd als verkeersregelaar… Wat een veelzijdige kleinzoon!- ‘Home’ zal ik nu zeker eens gaan bekijken. Veel dank weer voor je blog. opa Reyer.

2. Pepson 26 Oct 2010 at 2:38 pm

Only the list of hard facts makes me dazzle…
    And can someone video you as a ‘klaarover’?

3. charlotteon 27 Oct 2010 at 9:25 am

hahahah I was laughing out loud about you becoming a professional crossing guard, your dreamjob! But good to hear you enjoyed it so much!

4. charlotteon 27 Oct 2010 at 9:26 am

And I agree with dad, that I would like to see you being a crossing guard as well!