Life is Life

November 3rd, 2010

No trips to roller coaster parks or friends that got hired at Wall Street this time. Since last Saturday, life has been life. There is nothing wrong with that, but it makes it a little harder to write a post that will blow your mind. You know that these posts usually blow your mind, so I’d like to live up to that expectation. Even though nothing mind blowing happened, I will try to give you a mind blowing insight into some of my activities. No pressure on me though.

Every Monday at 7:00 p.m., I meet with some of my fellow Reslifers. Reslife is the organization that makes sure people in our residence halls are safe, learn, and have fun. Our core values that have been drilled in during our training are: Celebrations, Inclusivity, Compassion, Meaningful Interactions, Accountability, and Respect. That sounds pretty amazing and it is. We live all these core values every moment of the day. In order to stay close to their teammates, Resident Assistants meet once a week. One week you meet with all the people in your building and the next week with all the people in your area. As a Resident Director, I oversee the meetings of my building. We usually talk about maintenance issues in the building, how the residents are doing, and how we are doing as RAs. Besides business, we always try to make the meeting fun. RAs support each other when difficult situations arise, so it is important to feel comfortable and safe around your fellow staff members. Meetings are a great way to maintain this connection.

My gym class is good. The official title of the course is Personal Conditioning. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I go the gym from 1:00 to 1:50 p.m. Our instructor has given us a book with exercises and helps us with maintaining proper form. The great thing about this class is that I get credit for working out and that I am forced to go to the gym three times a week. No excuses, because not showing up means a lower grade and no one likes low grades. The not so great thing about this class is that last weekend, I could hardly walk. On Friday, we had done some lunges and those target your butt and your upper legs. Apparently, these muscle groups are not my strongest, because I felt like someone for whom every movement hurts. I almost said “like an old man”, but I can imagine that most old men feel much better when they sit down than I did. Fortunately, muscles recover and I am able to walk around happily again.

3 Responses to “Life is Life”

1. Pepson 04 Nov 2010 at 2:05 am

Reslife is Reslife, Gymlife is Gymlife, Blog is Blog

2. opa reyeron 04 Nov 2010 at 2:19 am

Life is life, maar…(vroeg ik me af) speelt de politiek ook een rol in het campusleven van Wooster? Hier stonden de kranten dagenlang vol over de verkiezingen in de VS. Veel van jouw medestudenten hebben toch ook stemrecht? Komt dat in jullie gesprekken aan bod? Zijn er ‘tea party-aanhangers’ op de campus? Mogen docenten hun politieke voorkeur laten blijken of is dat streng verboden? Ik zou het leuk vinden als je daarover eens iets schreef in een volgende aflevering van je blog. Veel dank alvast! opa Reyer

3. charlotteon 05 Nov 2010 at 1:01 pm

I would like a workout class like that for credits! And I did enjoy reading your blog again, even though it was to your opinion not mind blowing, like dad sais: Blog is blog! 🙂