Fastest Week of my Life

November 6th, 2010

They say time moves faster as you get older. That must mean I have gotten a lot older this week. I remember Sunday, when my girlfriend Keri returned from the March to Restore Sanity in Washington D.C. and then suddenly it was Friday again. From my previous post, it was rather clear that this past week was just an average week with not too many notable events. Fortunately, weeks like those are rare. So, maybe it was not such a bad thing that this week flew by.

My grandfather inquired how students experienced the midterm elections over here. I know there was a large election party in our student center. I stopped by for a brief moment and saw that many people were there. However, since the majority of my friend here are international students and since I am not taking any political science classes, the elections were not really on my radar. I do read about the elections online, but I have not had many conversations about them.

The NBA season has started again. Since my arrival in the US, I have become a big fan. Initially, I only followed the Cleveland Cavaliers. However, through following the Cavs, I got to know the other teams in the NBA. Now, I am almost interested in all games. Of course, as a person living in Ohio, I am sinful enough to watch the Miami Heat. However, my interested keeps expanding. I also enjoy watching the Magic, the Suns, the Lakers, the Celtics, the Oklahoma City Thunder, Washington Wizards, LA Clippers, and the NY Knicks.
I need to watch myself because I have a tendency to get addicted to following things like the NBA. Other things that I have been addicted to are the Presidential Campaign of 2008, the Euro 2008, and the World Cup of 2010. When this addiction hits me, I need to read every article on the internet on the topic. That is not healthy and takes up way too much time.

This Sunday, I will be playing the playoffs of my intramural volleyball season. We have won enough games to qualify for the semi-finals. Sunday night, I will know if my team has become the IM volleyball champions.

4 Responses to “Fastest Week of my Life”

1. kerion 06 Nov 2010 at 1:14 pm

I was actually team colbert so I was marching to restore the fear. 😉

2. Sandor Oryon 06 Nov 2010 at 1:19 pm

Good luck with the game Bas! Hope the results sunday are positive 🙂
    About your addictions, I think its good to ‘specialize’ into a certain topic, you can then fully focus on it and get all excited and enthusiastic about a match; good feelings I presume! Enjoy it 🙂
    My life is only about switching right now, I switch from the one meeting to think about the next topic to then go somewhere where I discuss a certain issue which is important for my work (somehow..) I have difficulty focussing so envy your NBA addiction 😉

All the best my friend, see you in december!

3. Pepson 06 Nov 2010 at 1:57 pm

I am jealous of any focus and even addiction. I only know distraction. Why are you playing volleyball in stead of basketball, by the wat? Good luck in the finals anyway!

4. opa reyeron 07 Nov 2010 at 5:05 am

Hallo Bastiaan! Op mijn leeftijd gaat de tijd inderdaad beangstigend snel. Ik moet er niet aan denken dat het eind in zicht is…! – Maar dat de politiek in de VS helemaal uit je aandacht wordt weggespoeld door de sportverslaving(en),- dat begrijp ik toch niet helemaal. Keri heeft toch stemrecht? Heeft ze gestemd? Republikein of democraat? – Enfin, ik schakel over: heel veel succes met je volleybal vandaag! opa Reyer