Taking Care of Business

December 14th, 2010

Life is easy these days. Let me repeat that: life is easy. It still feels like my vacation has already begun. In my last post, I summed up what I still need to do.

I have taken care of some of the things on my last.

• I took my Astronomy exam. It did not go as well as the first two exams, but that is not too surprising if you consider that I only lost 1 point on those two exams combined. It felt like a failure, but I am a bit of a perfectionist.
  • I turned in our Astronomy project.  You can listen to the25-minute radio show that we produced here. Again, I am a perfectionist. I wish I could have made the sound quality better, added in some jingles, and put some nice music under one of the songs. Just in general, I’d like to make it better. However, it still turned out good and I think my professor liked it.
  • I got my hair cut today. It forgot how good it feels to get a nice professional haircut. It had been a year since I got my hair cut at Ms. Jody’s downtown. I have been coming to her since my first year, but now I hadn’t seen her in a year. Last year, I grew my hair out and over summer I got a buzz cut (yes, dad, I like your hair cuts too).
  • I put in three loads of laundry today. That means it was about time to do laundry, but it mostly means that I’ll have lots of clean clothes and a clean bed to sleep in. That always feels great.
  • I talked to my younger brother who is in Australia right now. It was great to see him on the web cam and hear his stories about Thailand and his plans for the coming months down under.

So, what is left is two papers for African Religions and my third chapter for IS. As I said, this week is challenging because I have so much time that it seems that I don’t have to do work. Tonight I am going out for dinner and then hopefully tomorrow will be a very productive day.

PS the cold is crazy these days. The wind chill gets down to negative 10 fahrenheit. It took me half an hour to get my car clean today and to manage to open its doors. However, the snow and sun combination is still very beautiful. As long as you cover every inch of skin, this brutal cold won’t kill you.

4 Responses to “Taking Care of Business”

1. Pepson 15 Dec 2010 at 1:48 am

Wow, this post is such a relief for a distant reader, as compared to ‘Extracurriculars dominate’, just one week ago. So even in safe-space-Wooster life is a roller coaster! However, also in this vacationlike week you have taken care, you took, you turned in, you got, you put in, you talked and you are going to.
    It’s nice to listen to the Galactic Radio Show. It’s a fine example of so-called ‘slow radio’, but I assume that’s not much of a problem, because the station seems to be aimed at professors only. The stories are blood-curdling chilling and the music is gorgeous! My iTunes immediately filed the show under ‘classic rock’!
    What striked me especially is the fact that in one of the stories the radio reporter refers to the desire to have a time telescope and look back to February 24, 1987. That’s exactly the day that the mother of this very reporter was completing a 80 kms. (50 miles) skating tour in the Alblasserwaard (http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=Kinderdijk&sll=52.26525,5.195022&sspn=1.707882,4.828491&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kinderdijk,+Nieuw-Lekkerland,+Zuid-Holland&ll=51.869019,4.70335&spn=0.026923,0.075445&t=h&z=14). Somewhere half way she called her family doctor and heard that she was pregnant of her first child – a galactic radio reporter to be!
    And one more thing, after the heartbreaking STAR-carol in the beginning of the show: understudy Bastiaan van de Lagemaghghghghgh: you should be a singer: “If you really want to, you can do it”

2. Pepson 15 Dec 2010 at 5:11 am

For all your non Dutch readers: ice skating, that is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrTAamdK-3c

3. opa reyeron 15 Dec 2010 at 7:41 am

Hallo Bastiaan! Het is me helaas nog niet gelukt je radioshow te beluisteren. Ik zal eens bij Pim of Gijsbert in consult gaan.- Wat de laatste loodjes betreft: vooral veel sterkte gewenst met het 3e hoofdstuk van je IS. Dat moet toch wel de kroon op je werk van dit semester worden! opa Reyer

4. Hannekeon 16 Dec 2010 at 1:58 am

Dear Bastiaan, lieve neef! Ik heb weer genoten van je blogje; die verkleinwoorden mag je weglaten, want het was een erg leuk blog over een fantastisch leven! veel liefs, Hanneke