Lots to Share

January 30th, 2011

It is the beginning of the third week of this semester and things are starting to heat up. People are back into the groove of college life.

This weekend was great. Friday started off with an all hall program. We made a fire in the Andrews (my building) fire place, we played some music, we made hot dogs and s’mores, we drank hot chocolate, and we played a little bit in the snow. Later that night I met some friends, but I went to bed relatively early because I had to wake up really early the next morning.

On Saturday morning at 7:15 a.m., two cars and ten people gathered to go to NEOHO (North East Ohio Housing Officers) conference. It was a gathering of Resident Assistants and other people in the field to talk about our experiences and learn from each other. I went last year too and I was expecting fun creative activities, and meeting some new people. This year’s NEOHO was mostly fun because me and my fellow Wooster students stuck together and joked around. Some of the activities were hard to take seriously for us. For example, one session taught us how to deal with stress. That sounds pretty interesting, but we did not expect that they would teach us the benefits of using a calendar (“some people say using a calendar is a waste of time, but it is actually really helpful”) and that they would go into detail about making stress balls out of balloons (“sand could be better as a filler than flower because flower gets stuck in the carpet”). One of my fellow RDs referred to this last discussion as “the great sand vs. flower debate.” So, although some of the sessions at the conference were a little disappointing, the day itself was a success.

Upon arrival at Wooster, I ate a quick dinner with Marijke and Prachi. Then, it was time for a 1.5 hour nap to make up for the short night. It was hard to get up after that nap, but I am very glad I did. Saturday night was a lot of fun. I laughed, danced, talked to lots of people, and spent some quality time with my girlfriend. I had an amazing time and I enjoyed the fact that I could sleep in very much.

Independent Study is also in full gear. On Friday, I got permission to start collecting data. Today, I invited 160 students to participate in my study. I am excited to start running my experiment, but I know it will take lots of time. Hopefully, by the end of this week I’ll have had 20 students participating in my study.

A piece of great news that reached me this past week is that my sister is coming to visit next week. She studied here in Wooster for a year as an exchange student and although she loves her current studies in The Netherlands, she still feels a very strong connection with Wooster. I can’t wait to see her!

Furthermore, I realize I promised to post a picture of the dinners we have been having with our group of international students. However, I have not uploaded my pictures to my computer yet. This semester I have started to carry my camera around on campus so that I can document my last semester here.

Instead of the photo, I’ll post the first poem that I wrote for my Intro to Fiction and Poetry class. We learned that poetry is something that you should share and not keep to yourself, so that is what I am doing. However, that might only be true after you have become a little better a poetry writing. I’ll try to incorporate the lessons I learn in that class into my blog writing as well, so my writing should get better each week.

The assignment for this poem was to write about an emotion without using the word for it. Also, it had to be in free form (no rhyme).

The Wedding Ring

As I was tracing back my steps of that morning,
I was tracing back the events of the day in my mind.

Had I left earlier to catch the 8 a.m. train,
my finger would not have felt so naked.
I had examined the pockets of my black pea coat,
searched the dusty bathroom tiles under my green cabinet.

I looked at the colored leaves in the streets,
each hiding part of a brick in the road.
When the 5 p.m. fall sun came from behind a cloud,
I saw something sparkling next to the dim curb.
My tread increased with my breath
as I was coming closer to the twinkling
that had caught my eye.

A yellow leaf was letting me hold on
to a  feeling I was not ready to let go.

PS One more thing I wanted to share: I quit my job as a tour guide. Although it was one of my favorite things to do, it made more sense for me to quit because I need all my time for IS. Also, I didn’t make any money on this job because I already fill the maximum of 10 hours each week by working other jobs.

4 Responses to “Lots to Share”

1. Hannekeon 31 Jan 2011 at 2:40 am

lieve neef, ik heb weer genoten van je verhaal; er schuilt dus ook nog een dichter in jou?! Geweldig! Liefs! Hanneke

2. Pepson 31 Jan 2011 at 4:51 am

Wow, son, not bad at all for a first poem and nice that you share it. It has no rhyme, as required, but it does have rhythm, alliteration and vowel rhyme. And above all, it has wit and it has a nice story in it. It really evokes the not-mentioned emotion!
    Good that you take this class, and keep sharing your poems!

3. opa reyeron 31 Jan 2011 at 4:57 am

Hallo Bastiaan! Twee afleveringen van je blog tegelijk (voor mij als lezer). Wat een baan om zo’n weekend voor ‘nachtwacht’ te spelen! Gelukkig is het nu voor je hele verdere studietijd in Wooster achter de rug!
    Zeer geïnteresseerd heb ik je gedicht gelezen. Geen gemakkelijke opdracht: geen rijm en de emotie niet benoemen. Maar wat zijn de kriteria voor de beoordeling? Ritme, klank, beeldspraak, kortom alles wat het tot meer moet maken dan in mootjes gehakt proza. Eigenlijk moet je dat weten voordat je een waarderingsoordeel kunt uitspreken. Maar de parallelle openingszinnen vind ik een mooie start en de twee slotregels een dito afronding. En verder is het natuurlijk een eerste proeve: niet slecht, Bastiaan!
    Het was een groot genoegen weer eens van je te horen. opa Reyer

4. Trudion 31 Jan 2011 at 2:26 pm

Ha Bastiaan,
    leuk om je ervaringen te lezen. en je gedicht smaakt naar meer. ik ben benieuwd. liefs, Trudi