Academics Dominate

February 24th, 2011

The loyal readers of my blog know it, and I certainly know it; many times in my college career, extracurricular activities have dominated my life. That is not necessarily a bad thing, I have tons of positive experiences and I learned a lot. But, of course, I cannot forget that the main reason I am here is to engage in academic work.

Well, this past week, I had no lack of academic work. I have almost finished analyzing my data for Independent Study. In my last post, I wrote that I would finish analyzing my data over the weekend. It proved to be a little more challenging than that. Analyzing data is hard, and organizing and writing it up in a way that it makes sense to a reader is even harder. But, I am really close to finishing this part of my I.S. I have eleven pages of beautifully presented data.

Unfortunately, the wave of momentum was a little choppy. While all I wanted was working on I.S., I had two exams this week. One Theories of Human Communication and one Intrapersonal Communication exam. Of course, that removed two days of doing I.S. from my week. In addition, I had to critique other people’s poetry. In my Intro to Poetry and Fiction Writing class, we are workshopping these days. For a workshop, three people write an elaborate critique on two poems by one of the class members. The rest of the class writes a brief critique and then we talk about the poetry in class. I was doing the elaborate critiques for two of my class members for Tuesday, so that added to the academic domination.

Finally, I was also working on finishing my application for graduate school. My dad sent in all the required materials today, so all that is left for me is waiting and hoping.

One of my poems that my class will workshop for me is called “Leaving Babcock Hall.” The assignment was to work with sound devices while describing a place that someone has left behind.

Leaving Babcock Hall

I pulled the
push-pins out of my
poster, chipping
paint and exposing
plaster.

I uncovered water stains
where my plant once was,
removed my sticky styling gel
and shampoo from the shelves.

No more coffee cream containers
in the garbage can .
No more sweaty socks
on the clean carpet.
No more Christmas lights
cling clang clung
to the pipes
in need of plumbing.

That dark dungeon
in the basement of Babcock,
no longer belongs to me.

Leaving Babcock Hall

I pulled the

push-pins out of my

poster, chipping

paint and exposing

plaster.

I uncovered water stains

where my plant once was,

removed my sticky styling gel

and shampoo from the shelves.

No more coffee cream containers

in the garbage can .

No more sweaty socks

on the clean carpet.

No more Christmas lights

cling clang clung

to the pipes

in need of plumbing.

That dark dungeon

in the basement of Babcock,

no longer belongs to me.

3 Responses to “Academics Dominate”

1. Pepson 24 Feb 2011 at 11:40 pm

This loyal commenter likes both the post and the poem. And he knows the experience that things prove to be a little more challenging than expected! It’s now six o’clock in the morning and I sit here at my desk, finishing work that should have been finished by yesterday afternoon. Sometimes procrastination and distraction dominate, at other times conclusions just are not that easy to formulate…

2. opa reyeron 25 Feb 2011 at 5:02 am

Je wordt echt een dichter, Bastiaan! Een klankvolle overvloed aan allitteraties,- heel knap in een taal die niet je moedertaal is. Hoe was het commentaar van je medestudenten? Kreeg je zelf voor de beoordeling van het werk van anderen nog bepaalde kriteria mee van de docent? Vooral bij een gedicht is het veel gemakkelijker te beredeneren waarom het niet mooi is dan om aan te tonen waarom het wél mooi is. Maar over Leaving Babcock Hall mag je dik tevreden zijn! Gefeliciteerd!

3. Hannekeon 26 Feb 2011 at 7:26 am

heel erg goed gedaan, lieve Bastiaan, knap hoor, allemaal in het Engels!
    liefs van je tante !!