Having the Wind in the Sails

March 12th, 2011

After, “the horse smells the stable,” I’d like to introduce another Dutch saying: “having the wind in the sails.” It means that things are going well, and that is certainly the case right now.

Independent Study is done. It still feels unreal, but I turned it in on Friday and received button no. 73 (suggestions for why that is a nice number are welcome (I already know it is a prime and that Dark Side of the Moon was released in that year)). If you areย  interested, you can take a look at the document by clicking here. It is my senior capstone project and I am proud of it. The feeling of completing this thing is really unbelievable.

Wooster’s basketball team reached the Final Four tonight in the National Division III Championships. We defeated the number 1 ranked team in the country, Whitworth, in a 76-66 victory. The atmosphere was amazing and people stayed long after the game to join the team in the celebration of winning our first Sectional Championship in four years.

I am flying home tomorrow. I can’t wait to be with my family and my friends from home again. I haven’t been in the Netherlands since early August, so it is time for me to spend some quality time in my home country with no academics to worry about.

The weather was great today. The cold and snow from yesterday disappeared and seem to be gone for the year.

When I come back to campus, it will be time for I.S. (Independent Study) Monday. That is the day all seniors have to turn in their I.S. projects by 5:00 p.m. After 5:00 p.m., there is a campus-wide celebration that includes a big march with all the seniors.

Finally, I’d like to share some photos that are way overdue and some photos that were just taken this week.

Family Dinner with friends from all over the world.

This is where I spent hours and hours running my I.S. experiment.

My Independent Study, right before it got turned in.

Chris Miller with some copies of his 200-page I.S. in Economics and Philosophy.

Blackberries document how the registrar receives our I.S projects.

Itai Njanji with his I.S. in Computer Science and Mathematics.

Matthew Miller with his I.S. in Chemistry.

Happy faces after we all received our I.S. buttons.

7 Responses to “Having the Wind in the Sails”

1. Pepson 12 Mar 2011 at 11:59 pm

Congratulations, son, on this huge milestone! I already said this personally, as I happened to have the honour of attending your reaching the finish of writing your IS, but I also like to congratulate you in public. I’m very proud of you!
    Nice photos, I had never seen your Zimbabwean and Jamaican friends! I especially like the second picture: you in your IS-cubicle. You look like a giant who can only stand in the cell with his head inclined!
    Looking forward to seeing you in my arms on Monday morning, and having you with us for two weeks!

2. Sandor Oryon 13 Mar 2011 at 12:16 am

Bastiaan, good to hear your Dunglish is also improving! We just finished the IFMSA General Assembly in Jakarta, I’m leaving in a few hours.. It was an amazing time and the whole Dutch delegation was talking Dunglish all the time, expressing ourselves with Dutch expressions literally translated to English. Its good to see you’ve been developping some of your own!

Let me just share some of ours, just for the fun of it:
    – IFMSA is a ‘free-willy’ organization (vrijwilligers organisatie in Dutch, voluntary work organizations in English); we’re all free-willy’s!
    – (when reveiling a secret when telling a story).. and that’s when the monkey comes out of the sleeve!

There are about a hundred more but my tired brains and time-stress restrain my thinking of them.. I’ll keep you updated if I remember any more good ones ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good to hear you’ve finished your I.S., I can only imagine how releaving that must feel like! I hope to see you in NL in a few days, I’ll be flying back tonight from Jakarta.

Enjoy the days off with your family!

Sandor

3. opa reyeron 13 Mar 2011 at 1:43 am

Hartelijk gefeliciteerd Bastiaan! Geweldig dat je het werk keurig op tijd hebt voltooid! En nu de beoordeling ‘op het hoogste niveau’!

Voorspoedige thuisreis gewenst, en misschien tot ziens in Nederland.

4. Suzannaon 13 Mar 2011 at 5:23 am

Bass!! Congratulations! I am so proud of you!! I was in Wooster for a week so I saw how busy you were working on your IS, and how you did the transcripts. That was pretty cool, but I know how much work it was. I think it must feel amazing to have turned it in, and now you can enjoy spring break more than ever! I can’t wait to see you tomorrow. Unfortunately I cannot pick you up at the airport, because I have my midterms this week. But I will definitely see you tomorrow!!

5. charlotteon 13 Mar 2011 at 9:15 am

basje!! ik ben heel ziek in India en ik kan niet wachten weer thuis te zijn! ik kom dinsdag vanaf schiphol naar Utrecht dus hoop heel erg dat je er dan bent. Ik kan echt niet wachten je weer te zien!!!!!!!!! xxx

6. Hannekeon 13 Mar 2011 at 2:13 pm

van harte gefeliciteerd, lieve neef, ik ben trots op je!
    Wat een leuke foto ‘s! Veel liefs, Hanneke

7. 3x10E8on 14 Mar 2011 at 9:51 am

Sheldon Cooper on 73:
    “73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror 37 is the 12th and its mirror 21 is the product of multiplying, hold on to your hats, 7 and 3. In binary, 73 is a palindrome, 1, 0, 0 1, 0, 0, 1 which backwards is 1, 0, 0 1, 0, 0, 1”
    ๐Ÿ˜€