Six Things

April 8th, 2011

Six things I need to share with you now, most of them because I promised to do so. I like to deliver on promises I make. Here we go:

• Irish Friend Visit:¬†When I came to Wooster in 2007, I met Jordan Henderson. He was a Northern Irish young man who was very curious about the world. For example, once when Jordan was expressing his excitement about meeting people from all over the world, he exclaimed about our Pakistani friend Amun: “I had never met an Indian girl before!” Jordan always brought an amazing perspective on the world and a great sense of humor to any gathering he was a part of. Unfortunately, he was only at Wooster for one year, but when he came back to visit for I.S. Monday, it was almost like he had never left. Sharing memories about professors we had, freshman adventures we went through, and remarkable things Jordan had said or done during his time here was amazing.
  • Back to Hard Work: This point goes hand in hand with the little bit of complaining that I promised to post. Now no one really, truly enjoys listening to or reading about someone complaining, but I have this blog that I can use for emotional relief. Last week, it seemed like all my senior friends were enjoying lots of free time. They were done with I.S. and only taking two rather easy intro classes. I am still taking three classes and all of them are still challenging. After I.S. Monday, while my friends were watching movies, taking naps, playing sports, or reading, I was studying for exams, working on a literature review, and writing a piece of flash fiction. It seemed so unfair.
  • Future Visit from a Dutch Friend: One of my best friends from home is coming to visit me in Wooster in two weeks. I say he is from home but that is not entirely true. He was born in Germany, moved to the Netherlands when he was twelve, studied abroad in the United States for a year, and is currently studying at the University of Warwick in England. On his trip to the United States, where he will visit Washington, D.C., Toronto, and Chicago to attend conference about Economic stuff, he could find time for a quick stop in Wooster, Ohio. I find myself incredibly lucky that out of my seven great friends from home, I have been able to meet up with five during my four years here in the United States.
  • A Little Complaining: I did that already above. However, it seems like I should stop complaining. I only have four weeks left at the College of Wooster, I should enjoy every minute and not complain about little things like literature reviews.
  • Some Photos: They will have to wait a little longer. My camera is in someone else’s room who took pictures for me on I.S. Monday.
  • Some Shopping Updates: I bought some new Clarks Desert Boots as a reward for myself for completing I.S. These shoes are so comfortable that I don’t want to take them off and they’re stylish too. I bought some Jason Tea Tree shampoo. That is the first time of my life that I spent a little more on shampoo, but it was absolutely worth the investment. I ordered an 1 TB external hard drive. I have had my laptop since freshman year and I believe it could die at any point. I want to start making at least weekly backups of all my files. I am considering buying a Macbook Pro but my current laptop is still working and those Macs aren’t cheap. I bought the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I thought I would have plenty of time to read after I.S., but making time to read is almost as hard going to bed on time.

It feels good now I have delivered on all of my promises but one (photos). Now I can start writing about things that have happened since I made those promises. In my next post, I’d like to share a little bit about the deeper topics death and religion, because I attended some interesting events related to these two.

P.S. The International Food Festival was a very successful event but the Dutch food went under appreciated. The judges chose Vietnam as the winners , Pakistan as the runners up, and Burma as the number three. I think the Dutch should have won a price for feeding the most people because we had well over 20 pounds of food (which took forever to cook, so we arrived at the event 20 minutes late).

UN

Res

Date

Liberalism

Humanism

S-G

Reports

Date

Liberal Program

Liberal Indicator

Humanist Program

Humanist Indicator

1410

17 May 2002

Private Sector

Capacity-Building

1223

6 Nov 2002

None

None

None

None

449

21 April 2003

Transition Support

Reconstruction

Private Sector

Reconstruction

Transition Support Program

Poverty Reduction

Capacity-Building

944

6 Oct 2003

Trust Fund

Reconstruction

Trust Fund

Social Services

Capacity-Building

117

13 Feb 2004

None

None

None

None

669

29 April 2004

Trust Fund

Reconstruction

Trust Fund

Social Services

Capacity-Building

1543

14 May 2004

Reconstruction

Capacity-Building

888

9 Nov 2004

Reconstruction

Reconstruction

World Bank

Capacity-Building

1573

16 Nov 2004

None

Capacity-Building

99

16 Feb 2005

IMF

Trust Fund

Economic Growth

Reconstruction

UNDP

Health Policy

Community Development

Capacity-Building

Social Services

1599

28 April 2005

Reconstruction

Capacity-Building

310

11 May 2005

None

None

Employment

WFP, UNICEF

Capacity-Building

Social Services

1704

25 Aug 2006

Econ Growth

Poverty Reduction

50

26 Jan 2007

Bridge Project

Reconstruction

Poverty

Employment

Poverty Reduction

Capacity-Building

513

20 Aug 2007

None

None

Basic Services

Employment

Social Services

Capacity-Building

26

7 Jan 2008

None

None

Vocational Train

Health and Food

Capacity-Building

Social Services

1802

25 Feb 2008

Econ Growth

Poverty Reduction

501

8 July 2008

Infrastructure

Reconstruction

Employment

UNDP Poverty

Community Fund

Capacity-Building

Poverty Reduction

Social Services

72

20 Jan 2009

Bridge Project

Reconstruction

Vocational Train

Capacity-Building

1867

26 Feb 2009

None

Capacity-Building

Poverty Reduction

504

23 Sept 2009

None

None

Basic Services

Food Security

Social Services

85

20 Jan 2010

None

None

Employment

Basic Services

Microfinance

Capacity-Building

Social Services

1912

26 Feb 2010

Reconstruction

Econ Growth

Poverty Reduction

Social Services

522

20 Sept 2010

None

None

Employment

Capacity-Building

2 Responses to “Six Things”

1. Pepson 08 Apr 2011 at 4:34 pm

After three secret posts, finally an announced one. I was hesitating as to where to post my ‘comment’, but let’s take this final one. I was wondering what promises I had missed, but after reading the successive posts, I understood. Also for me, for us, it was a highlight to have you home for two weeks. We are looking forward to having you back within reasonable travel distance in a couple of weeks. But first we’ll come over and visit you for your graduation. Finally we’ll see the campus where you spent such instructive and exciting years! But before that, enjoy your last weeks in Wooster, Ohio, and appreciate yourself for taking interesting and demanding classes till the very end.

PS
    Asian food is hard to beat, even by hutspot. International readers, take a look at this and judge for yourself: http://bit.ly/bEVhHC

2. opa reyeron 09 Apr 2011 at 2:35 am

Hallo Bastiaan! Je hebt het lijstje uit je Preview van 31 maart keurig afgewerkt! Het was heel bijzonder dat je 14 dagen in Nederland was, met mij uit eten ging en zelfs meewerkte aan het Kranencabaret op Gerines feest. Wat een bijzondere dagen!
    Nu de laatste loodjes in Wooster en dan je graduation in de familiekring. Hoeveel van je buitenlandse medestudenten maken dat mee? Je gaat echt van het ene bijondere hoogtepunt naar het volgende! En dan een heel nieuwe fase in Nederland. Spannend allemaal! Ik leef met je mee. opa Reyer